Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Discussion Q&A Therese, Jeremy, Shane

Therese
What stereotype do you identify with?
white girl
During what activity do you feel most masculine?
taking out the trash
During what activity do you feel most feminine?
bubble bath
May I take a video of you performing these actions?
No thanks.
How do you feel about Adrian piper being on a suspicious travelers list?
I am not really surprised.
Would you makes the same decision that Adrian piper did if you were put on the list?
Sure, if you mean to stay in Berlin.
 What do you think about adrians work that was mentioned in the article?
She sounds like she has a powerful role and a strong opinion.


Jeremy
Questions about the reading and movie:
 

Does the premise of condensing hundreds of religions and philosophies into one 2 hour-long documentary seem ill-serving to the history and magnitude of the subject matter?
 
I can understand the purpose, but yes, it does seem ill-serving.
Do you consider your religious or non-religious beliefs before creating art?
 
I don't.
Sartre's understanding of life is that it reflects the experience of one's existence.  How does your artwork reflect the experience of your existence?
 
My art relates my body to an environment, making a direct experience.
"The fact that we all suffer from the day we’re born to the day that we expire…is funny."  What part should humor play in the discussion of religion and mortality?
 
I enjoy the conversation much more when it is humorous.  It can be one of those topics that is interesting to think about, but not talk about.

Questions about my work in relationship to the reading and movie:
Is it ultimately futile for me to investigate an experience I may never consciously take part of?

Everything is ultimately futile, so do it if it feels right.

Is my pursuit of personal meaning through the creation of art absurd in relation to my perception of the meaninglessness of the universe?
Yeah, sure.  I think it is absurd.

If I was to die and "become my past" as explained by Sartre, how would my artwork play a role in that process?  Would my work become the past as well?  Is it possible for my artwork to stay part of the present after I die?
 
The art will exist in the present, but the context will changes.
Am I qualified to explore death in my work?  Does one have to be personally touched by death to be able to explore it in their work?
 
You are qualified to do whatever you want with your art.



Shane
The questions I have are thus;

1) Do you agree that this is all conceptual art is?

I think conceptual art is a term used to describe a period within art history when some artists emphasized concept and process in the creation of art, and it is not a painting of the word joy on a canvas.
2) How does the fact that there is a eHow on making conceptual art affect your ideas of art?
It doesn't.
3) Is there a difference between this and the old Bob Ross painting shows?
Yes.  It is on the internet and is talking about ideas and the history of art.  Bob Ross is a show on television that focuses on landscape painting techniques.
4) Can High Art survive in the modern world?
 
I am not sure what you mean, but it seems to be doing okay right now.
And for my own work.

1) My work is firmly entrenched in conceptual art norms, what forms of postmodern art has the internet made irrelevant, or are there any?

It is hard to say that there is any form of art that is irrelevant.  I think the internet has mainly added new forms.
2) I feel my work attempts to make the intangible not just tangible but accessible, is there a point where accessibility tips to eHow?

Maybe if you dumb things down for everyone to understand, it won't be interesting for you anymore, but I am not sure it will be like eHow.
3) My concept of self dissection and betterment strives to be deep, dangerous, and relevant.  Is there more to "good" conceptual art than the strength of the concept?
I guess the most important part would have to be the concept.
4) Do you feel there is a difference between my work and something someone would make after reading this eHow?
Yes.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment