Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Why I Do This

I make art because it is the most enjoyable thing I can think of to do with my time. If I am not working toward something, I feel bored, and depressed. I enjoy the act of making but I also feel a necessity to have a goal that I can look forward to. Art allows me to be busy for a reason that I have determined. It is a way for me to try to make sense for myself.

My thesis has developed over a series of steps throughout the past three years. I have experimented with different materials while taking a variety of classes, but I enjoyed working with color and line primarily in painting and drawing. I made drawings of connections; things that connected or did not quite connect. The urge to make visual connections through line made me think about how things in the world are visually connected. I had simultaneously been playing with work involving the human voice amplified. These linear connections began to show up through the wiring and electrical connections that had to be made to create sound. I love the way specific sounds, within the context of visual art, give the viewer an imagined visual experience. Throughout my thesis I want to connect variables within reality to predetermined sounds. I also want to continue making visual imagery that abstracts my perceived visual reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment